Burrowing for Breakfast

Thursday, January 02, 2014

Every Saturday morning I ride to the Davies Park Markets at West End and buy so much produce that I am constantly in fear of my basket breaking on the way back along Coronation Drive, apples rolling into the Brisbane River. And yet, I do it every week. There is a great range of breakfast options at the markets but I've had them all enough times that I now prefer to go to one of the many places in West End to get my breakfast fix. There weren't a lot of places open this week, given the Christmas break, but luckily The Burrow was open for business.

The Burrow is one of my favourite breakfast haunts and is relatively new to my list. For lunch and dinner it is known for its innovative pizzas and craft beer and ciders. For breakfast, it is less about pizza but the innovation is definitely still there. With imaginatively named items such as Through the Looking Glass (Petite lemon bread‘n’butter pudding, elderflower cream, blackberry jam, finished with Mad Hatter tea syrup) and Mr McGregor's Garden (Morcilla, olive and pinenut “edible earth”, heirloom vegetable crudités, sprouts, poached egg with apple and fennel dressing) the menu in itself is like a novella. The two previous times I had been there I'd had Dia de los Muertos Tamales (Your choice of Black bean or Carnitas tamale. Served with pico de gallo, black bean and corn salsa, Spicy tomatillo, queso fresco, chipotle egg & edible confetti...) which is one of the best breakfasts I have ever had and also one of the most visually stunning. The Burrow really taking 'plating up' to a new level! This day I wasn't feeling especially hungry but how do I possibly go past tamales and what else would I want? Unluckily, or perhaps luckily really, the waitress informed us that the tamales weren't available today. After seeing my disappointed face she tried to convince me that they really weren't very good. I told her I'd had them before so I knew that wasn't the case but thanked her for trying! It did make my decision easier though and I decided on the Little Miss Sunshine (Grilled zucchini flowers, avocado, Persian fetta, tomato, fresh basil, finished with a rye, pepita and sunflower seed pangrattato). C ordered the El Desperados Tacos (Chipotle pulled pork tinga, soft flour tortillas, pico de gallo, jalapeño salsa, huevos rancheros, 
crema agria & queso fresco with optional hot sauce) which he'd had before. 

Little Miss Sunshine

When the meals came out, I was not disappointed! My dish was beautifully presented with two large pieces of toasted dark rye with plenty of multi-coloured cherry tomatoes scattered on top of some smashed avocado and pieces of persian feta on top. The zucchini flowers were still attached to the baby zucchini which were lightly roasted and arranged around the bread. Fresh basil, pepitas, sunflower seeds and drizzles of olive oil and balsamic vinegar rounded out the dish, along with some pretty edible flowers. And it tasted just as good as it looked. The avocado was perfectly ripe, the rye bread was chewy and earthy in tasted and the cherry tomatoes were sweet. The baby zucchini still had a slight bite and the zucchini flowers were a nice addition. C's tacos were presented with the pulled pork on top of the tortillas and the rest of the components artfully placed around the plate separately. He quickly started compiling his tacos and somehow managed to fit most of it on the two tortillas. The dish came with a poached egg which both of us agreed was unnecessary given the rest of the components and difficult to put on a taco.

El Desperados Tacos


Overall we both really enjoyed our meals and will definitely be returning again and again. The Burrow can be a more expensive breakfast option but the meals are very substantial and the interesting items and beautiful presentation makes it absolutely worthwhile. I've also always had excellent service there with orders being taken straight away and water glasses continuously filled up. I've read reviews about meals taking a long time but I have never found that - although I am generally there quite early before it gets too busy! 

We left The Burrow very satisfied and I made it home with my basket intact!

Bikeability

Ease of access: 9/10
(Bicentennial Bikeway, Go Between Bridge, Montague Rd, L->Mollison St)
Parking: 9/10
(Several bike racks across the road and a few signposts out front)

Meals from previous visit


Off With Your Head!
Dia de los Muertos Tamales

The Burrow on Urbanspoon

You Might Also Like

0 comments